The Good News
The neighbourhood has everything you could want. From its boutique stores, restaurants, bistros, bars, and pubs along Queen Street East to the Lake Ontario shoreline and the numerous parks providing great outdoor activity, The Beach has much to offer for everyone.
The Bad News
With the location of the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant being so close, sometimes odours can emit from the plant that may be unpleasant to some. As well, because of the immense popularity of the area in the summertime, the neighbourhood can be packed with visitors from across Toronto crowding the beaches and Queen Street East. Traffic in the summer can grind Queen Street East to a standstill.
Homes, Architecture, and Real Estate
Most of the homes on the side streets branching from Queen Street East are semi-detached homes, with some larger Victorian and Edwardian homes that have been either taken by a sole owner or divided into apartments. You can also find some low-rise apartments and a few row-houses.
Some streets have heritage designations in order to help protect the cottage-like appearance of some homes closer to the lakeshore.
Queen Street East is a dense commercial district providing the heart of the urban character for the neighbourhood.
Schools, Colleges, and Universities
There are several schools that service the neighbourhood, making it a perfect area to raise a family.
- Neil McNeil Catholic Secondary School (127 Victoria Park Avenue, 416-393-5502)
- Malvern Collegiate Institute (55 Malvern Avenue, 416-393-1480 (Note: This is the public school just outside of the neighbourhood that services The Beach)
- Avalon Children’s Montessori School (31 Wood Glen Road, 416-686-6621)
- Kew Beach Junior Public School (101 Kippendavie Avenue, 416-393-1810)
- Glen Ames Senior Public School (18 Williamson Road, 416-393-1800)
- Kew Beach Montessori School (2 Bellefair Avenue, 416-694-6273)
- Williamson Road Junior School (24 Williamson Road, 416-393-1740)
Interested in The Beaches?
We can help you make it home. Click below to build a better search.