The Good News
The place is called “Young and Eligible” for a reason. Young singles, couples, and families call the area home. Because of the handy access to the Yonge-University-Spadina TTC subway line, the downtown core is easy to get to, affording many residents the opportunity to get to work quickly and effectively. There’s plenty to see and do, with many shops, pubs, and restaurants to please.
The Bad News
Some of the small business charm has eroded, with a number of “big box” retailers moving into the area, along with tall residential towers that detract from the home-oriented development of the past. This will probably continue into the future as more transit infrastructure is created to support the community.
Homes, Architecture, and Real Estate
The reputation of the Yonge-Eglinton area as a hub for young families and urban professionals is warranted, given some of the housing figures.
Yes, 23 percent of residents live in homes, while 60 percent live in apartment buildings that are five stories or taller. This is a mixed-use neighbourhood with some detached homes that are younger than their older downtown counterparts.
Taller condominium units dot the neighbourhood, with more on the way. You’re able to find a good mix of one-, two-, or three-bedroom units here, with reasonable condominium rates. There are some lovely three-to-four–storey apartments to be had that have a retro and Art Deco feel to them between Yonge Street and Mount Pleasant Road.
Schools, Colleges, and Universities
There are several schools that service the neighbourhood, making it a perfect area to raise a family.
- North Toronto Collegiate Institute, 17 Broadway Avenue, (416) 393-9180
- Northern Secondary School, 851 Mt Pleasant Road, (416) 393-0270
- Marshall McLuhan Catholic Secondary School, 1107 Avenue Road, (416) 393-5561
- Allenby Junior Public School, 391 St Clements Avenue, (416) 393-9115
- St Monica Catholic School, 44 Broadway Avenue, (416) 393-5224
- Oriole Park Public School, 80 Braemar Avenue, (416) 393-9215
- Eglinton Junior Public School, 223 Eglinton Avenue E, (416) 393-9315
- The Study Academy, 20 Glebe Road E, (416) 929-1630
Interested in Yonge & Eglinton?
We can help you make it home. Click below to build a better search.